WordPress tells me this is my 100th post… I think that calls for a mini magical celebration.
Since we celebrate with sweets over here, this is a Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cupcake just for you – because sometimes all you need is 1 cupcake – not 12.
And let’s be real, spring break is like, right around the corner. While I would love to eat 12 of these cutie cupcakes, I should probably stick to one..
I’m also trying something new in January! I’m going oil-free for the month with Lindsay from The Planted Palate. We decided to team up so we can help each other out. Please join us! I’ll be sharing oil-free yumminess for the entire month. I’m not saying I will go oil-free forever but I want to give it a shot and see if I honestly miss it or if it’s all in my head.
There’s no such thing as “healthy oils” and I want to challenge myself to come up with oil-free recipes that are mouthwatering, enticing and plant based. Check out this post to read more about oils, what to replace them with and why cutting back on them is beneficial for your health.
So this cupcake is vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, oil-free and for the hippies.
Just kidding! (about the hippies part)
It’s actually the yummiest and most adorable cupcake I’ve ever made. Plus you can’t go wrong with coconut cream frosting.
So who wants to join us and go oil-free in January?!
I’ve significantly cut back on cooking with oil the past couple months and I’m finding it totally unnecessary. I used to think cooking with oil was for flavor – that is so not the case! You will not miss all those empty calories – especially in this cupcake. Instead of oil, I used applesauce which I do quite often in baking. I hope you enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour (buckwheat, millet, etc. I also used spelt flour)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or raw cane sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- tiny pinch of fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1/2 tablespoon dairy-free chocolate chips (like the Enjoy Life brand)
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (*1 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight)
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with one cupcake liner.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add in the almond milk, applesauce and chocolate chips. Mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the cupcake liner and bake for 14-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Open a can of full-fat coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight. Scoop out 2 tablespoons of the cream from the top of the can (it has separated from the water) and place in a small bowl. Add coconut sugar and whisk until creamy.
- Frost your cupcake after it has cooled.
- Save the remaining coconut cream and water to use in a smoothie or soup!
Thank you for following TGF on this health journey and supporting a plant based way of life. If you want to participate this month, use the hashtag #oilfreejanuary on social media.
Happy weekend and HAPPY 2015!!