It’s Monday and I’m feeling cheery while writing this post, since Terry closed on our new house this morning and we’re picking up the keys in a few minutes! EEEKK!
We’re not in a rush to move in right away since it will be easier to remodel the master bathroom and re-stain the wood floors without our stuff in the house, but I’m definitely feeling eager to get in there! All of it feels surreal, like this day would never come… I’m sure many of you can relate! The whole process of house hunting and closing has been an interesting (and very long) ride, but it’s all happening now. We still have a ways to go, but hope to be moved in by Thanksgiving, or at least before Christmas.
You never really know with these things so we’re practicing patience and having fun with it along the way! And these Flourless Pumpkin Protein Muffins will fuel us through the process :). Follow along on instagram for more updates!
When you have a taste for something slightly sweet, but also on the healthier side (which is basically everyday, no?!), you need to grab one of these muffaroons. Think a slightly sweet, light and gooey pumpkin treat type of muffin, delivering plant protein in each bite, with no flour necessary! Protein powder acts as the “flour” in this recipe, along with almond butter (I like this one) to hold everything together (or any nut butter of choice) and warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg to finish it off!
This is one of the easier recipes I’ve ever posted. Topped with carob chips (or vegan chocolate chips) and after they’ve been baked, I recommend a spoonful of runny almond butter for good measure, because extra almond butter is ALWAYS a good idea.
The good news? These muffins didn’t last long around here (less than one day!), which means they were a huge hit!
The bad news? They didn’t last long around here… hah! Like, we gobbled them up as if protein muffins were our last meal on Earth.
Either way, I’ll be making them again this week (in this muffin tin!) because they were THAT good, and I figured you might want to know about these cutie (and healthy!) little pumpkin muffins too. They make the perfect on-the-go snack, after dinner treat or even alongside a smoothie for breakfast! They just might save your life when you have no time to whip up a smoothie or oatmeal.
Not to mention, they’re made in one bowl and one bowl only!! I love them!
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 scoop vanilla plant protein (I used Vegan Protein & Greens)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- carob chips, to top (or vegan chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, add all wet ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Next, fold in all dry ingredients until well combined.
- Fill muffin liners 3/4 full (about two heaping tablespoons each). Top with carob chips.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Store in airtight container. Can be stored at room temperature or in refrigerator.
- I haven't tried freezing the muffins so I can't offer advice for freezing.