It’s about time for another Glow Bowl recipe! Glow Bowls are always my go-to when I want to throw something together that’s quick, nourishing and super delish. This Sesame Kale Glow Bowl can be thrown together in 20 minutes! Plus I kinda need a break from all the Thanksgiving-inspired recipes, if ya know what I mean.
Have you ever been to Native Foods Cafe? I feel lucky that one just opened up 5 minutes from our house. It’s a casual vegan fast food restaurant with a 100% plant-based menu! Like, whaaaattt?!! Times are changing 🙂
I’ve been so excited to try this new little gem that we ordered it twice this past weekend. The first time I ordered the most delicious salad, The OC Raw Chopper, made of fresh mixed veggies, baby greens, salsa pomodoro, avocado, crushed almonds, angel hair beets and sprouts. It was amazingly fresh and came with a lemon garlic dressing. The second time, I ordered a Sesame Kale Macro Bowl which was filled with all things yummy like brown rice, steamed kale, grilled tempeh and sauerkraut – topped with a creamy ginger sesame sauce. This bowl in particular was my inspiration for today’s recipe, with a few tweaks.
It makes me so happy to see a vegan restaurant though. Especially one that is fresh, quick and 100% plant-based. For all those who need a convenient place for take-out or a quick bite to eat – your prayers have been answered. Healthy vegan fast food is hard to come by, at least in the Midwest.
For this Sesame Kale Glow Bowl, we’re using quinoa, kale, broccoli, crumbled tempeh, sesame seeds and a tamari-ginger sauce. Pretty much all of my favorite things in one big protein-packed bowl. So YUM.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil/sesame oil
- 1/2 of a red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups kale, de-stemmed + torn
- 2 cups broccoli florets (about 1 small head)
- 4 ounces of tempeh, chopped/crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- juice from 1/2 - 1 lime, depending on your liking
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (or powdered)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (black or white)
- Combine 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water in a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil on medium-high heat. Add the red onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, kale, broccoli and tempeh. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the tamari, water, lime juice, dijon mustard, ginger, pepper, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Add mixture to saucepan with vegetables and mix until well combined. Cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Once quinoa is finished cooking, scoop it into 2-3 bowls and top with the vegetable mixture. Add extra tamari/soy sauce as needed.
Here are my other fave Glow Bowl recipes:
Hope you all had a fun weekend! Marty and I set up a work station in our living room (why haven’t we done this before?!) and got lots of work done/listened to Christmas movies in the background/ate popcorn/snuggled with our pups. That’s pretty much all we do haha, but I wouldn’t have it any other way right now. We have lots of goals and dreams to accomplish so until then, we gotta put in the time and the work… sometimes it feels really lame but I know this time will pay off…. all I really wanted to do was put up Christmas decorations though!!! Have you started decorating yet?