The Hippie Macro Glow Bowl.
Balancing, nourishing, optimal for digestion and delicious. Time to eat like a true yogi would.
Similar to the plant based vegan lifestyle, the macrobiotic way of eating supports overall wellness by eating mindfully and naturally, but it delves deeper into what you actually put on your plate and shifts your perspective on food altogether. It supports a healthy body by decreasing imbalances in your yin and yang forces by healing your internal cooling and your internal HOT, with food. Focusing on the philosophy of how you live, your macro bowl reflects your greater purpose. Interesting, right?
I’m ALL about this kind of stuff haha. I dig it.
Have you ordered the ‘Sesame Kale Macro Bowl’ from Native Foods?! It rocks my world… my most popular glow bowl, the ‘Green Goddess Glow Bowl’ was based off that dish but this new glow bowl incorporates more of the classic macrobiotic bowl ingredients.
Starting with a base of fluffy quinoa followed by massaged kale, sautéed broccoli, heirloom tomatoes, crunchy cucumber slices, crumbled tempeh, smoky jalapeño kraut (from Farmhouse Culture @ Whole Foods) and a sprinkling of sesame seeds, finished with a maple turmeric tahini dressing. I mean…
I could eat this every single day. No joke. There’s something about the combination that’s on point and makes me feel so good.
Totally satisfied. Totally balanced. Totally nourished from the inside.
Make your own Macro Bowl by including:
- 50% whole grains: quinoa, brown rice, barley or millet
- 40% vegetables: bonus points for including leafy greens like kale (!) or choose your faves like broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, sprouts, cucumber etc. whatever is local and in season
- 10% plant protein: tempeh, beans, lentils or tofu
- fermented veggies and/or sea vegetables: sauerkraut, kimchi, dulse, kelp, kombu or arame
- creamy nut or seed based dressing
I kept all the veggies raw except for the broccoli which I sautéed with a little non-stick coconut oil spray from Trader Joe’s (buy the coconut spray here). I like to include a mix of raw and cooked veggies. I love the fermented vegetables (sauerkraut) because they provide healthy living probiotics for a happy tummy so don’t knock them until you try them! They truly add a lot of depth in flavor.
My bowl doesn’t completely follow the guidelines above so feel free to customize it to your liking (eat with the seasons!) but be sure to include lots of color and variety. When you love your food and it looks beautiful, it tastes even better.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 3 cups raw kale, de-stemmed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (to massage kale)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 block of tempeh, crumbled
- 1-2 cups baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 4-6 slices fresh cucumber
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut (or more, to taste)
- sprinkling of sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (or liquid aminos/soy sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Start by massaging the kale with fresh lemon juice to break down the fibrous leaves. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick coconut oil spray and sauté the broccoli just until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Don't overcook it to mush!
- Start assembling your bowls by dividing the cooked quinoa, kale, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumber, sauerkraut and optional sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth and creamy. Pour over your macro bowls.
- Mix it all up and dig in! Enjoy!
Avocado is life.
I want to see your macro bowls!! Don’t forget to tag me on all of your social media so I can see your beautiful creations of glowing goodness.