When was the last time you made banana nice cream?!
For me, it’s been ages! Mostly because I was scared of fruit for a while, but now that we’re friends again, I’m back on the “nice cream” train. Because it’s been crazy HOT outside, I’m craving cold desserts like no other. I love the store bought dairy-free ice cream pints just as much as the next person, but sometimes I’m more in the mood for creamy homemade banana soft-serve, ya know?!
Okay, if you haven’t heard of “nice cream” before, it’s basically frozen bananas blended in the food processor with some type of dairy-free milk which transforms into the creamiest ice-cream-like deliciousness. In this recipe, we’re using creamy coconut milk. Naturally, I took it a step further with the intention of making Nice Cream Cookie Bars – best decision ever.
Side note: I get messages and emails all the time asking what vegan dessert should I make for my kid’s birthday? Or what dairy-free dessert do you recommend for summer?
And now I can refer them to this recipe! Although theses bars would not travel well (they would melt just like any other frozen dessert), if the party is at home, they would be perfect. You could even turn them into creamy ice cream popsicles! So first, you’ll make a base layer with a few of the NuGo Dark Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies (to make your life WAY easier, plus they are gluten free, non-GMO and vegan of course!) then layer the “nice cream” on top for the dreamiest Nice Cream Cookie Bars.
What I love about the NuGo Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies are the ingredients. I know what everything is because they are made from real foods. Of course there’s a little sugar and you all know I live that sugar-free life now, but there’s always room for the occasional cookie or cookie bar so we don’t make ourselves too crazy. Not to mention one NuGo cookie = 16 grams of protein which helps prevent the blood sugar rollercoaster.
All in all, I had to share these delish cookies with you! They’re also boyfriend approved, by the way 🙂 I hope you love the cookie bars and make them while it’s still hot out 🙂
- 4 1/2 NuGo Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies, divided
- 2 tablespoons melted raw coconut oil
- 4 frozen bananas (peeled and sliced before being frozen)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (from the can)
- Crumble 4 of the cookies into the bowl of a food processor and pulse, slowly adding in the melted coconut oil. Mixture will be crumbly. Transfer to a lined 8×8 square baking dish and refrigerate 30 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, start pulsing/blending the frozen bananas in the food processor with the coconut milk until smooth and creamy, for about 5 minutes or so. You may have to scrape down the sides every so often. When the consistency is like ice cream, layer it over top the cookie base. Top with another 1/2 crumbled cookie and freeze for 3-4 hours, or until firm.
- Slice the bars in squares and serve. Freeze any remaining bars.
SHOP THIS POST: