The Everyday Goodness Bowl – A big bowl to nourish your insides with pure, good-for-you ingredients. If I’m ever unsure of what to make for lunch or even dinner, I turn to this Everyday Goodness Bowl. Usually, I always have these ingredients on hand. If not, then I swap out a veggie from the recipe and use what I have in the fridge! The “glowing” fridge that is 🙂 so cheesy – I know. I love how colorful it is. Eat the rainbow! That’s been my favorite saying ha. You can get artsy with the assembly of this salad bowl. If you want. I called it the “Everyday” Goodness Bowl because I try to have some variation of this salad on a daily basis. It has a little bit of everything and is very nutrient dense. Being a plant-based vegan, this is truly one of my favorite meals. Mainly because it’s easy, detoxifying, and acts as a reset button for your body! If you had a long weekend of boozing and snacking, this bowl of goodness is perfect to get you right back on track. After I took the pictures, I added hemp hearts. I can’t seem to get away from them! Not that I want to. But I have been adding them to anything and everything. You love them too, right?!
Let’s talk about kale. The powerhouse of greens. One cup of kale has 5 grams of fiber and is only 36 calories. Packed with calcium, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, antioxidants, minerals such as potassium, manganese, copper, phosphorus and iron, which is absolutely essential for good health (per calorie, kale has more iron than beef!) this leafy green is a staple in any healthy diet. I used to shy away from the thought of eating a purely kale salad, instead of something such as spinach or romaine, but its so much better when you allow it to soften up from lemon juice. I explain in the recipe but basically you “massage” the kale by squeezing fresh lemon juice on it, mixing it around, making sure all leaves are covered and letting it sit for about 5 minutes. This allows the kale to become more silky, due to its super fibrous texture. If you haven’t tried it, you must! Doing this step makes the world of a difference when eating raw kale.
This Everyday Goodness Bowl has it all. Protein from the chickpeas (and kale) to healthy fats from the avocado, I’ve got you covered. Not to mention my favorite homemade dressing that I have been using since day 1 of being vegan. And a dollop of hummus, because it makes everything better! Nourish your body from the inside so you can glow on the outside. Let’s make that our healthy mantra. This recipe makes one generous serving.
- 3-4 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped (I used lacinto kale)
- juice from 1 large lemon (or 2 small lemons)
- 1/4 English cucumber, about 5 slices, chopped in half
- 10-12 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/8 red onion, sliced
- small handful olives, chopped in half (I used green)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- Dollop of hummus (about 2 tablespoons)
- Optional add-ins: hemp hearts, sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 heaping tablespoon spicy dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- After removing stems from kale, place in a medium-sized bowl and pour lemon juice from 1 lemon over kale. Mix lemon juice around to make sure all leaves are covered and set aside for about 5 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. Doing this softens the kale.
- For the dressing, whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- After all other veggies are chopped, you can start assembling the salad. In a salad bowl, add kale and top with cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion, olives, avocado, chickpeas and hummus. Optional add-ins are hemp hearts and/or sunflower seeds!
- Pour dressing over salad and enjoy.
- You can always add more or less of each veggie depending on what you have and to suit your taste! Makes one generous serving.