Bikini friendly, meal prep friendly, beach friendly and bursting with flavor.
This fresh California Chopped Kale Salad combines everything I love into one giant bowl of health. Warm weather, sun kissed skin, toes in the sand and plants on plants on plants.
Okay maybe a little champagne too… that sounds like the perfect day!
California-inspired, its lean, clean and green with a whole lotta crunch, all the veggies and a subtle hint of sweetness from flaked coconut and juicy grapes, in each and every bite. Does that not sound heavenly?! Chopped salads are THE best. You get a little bit of everything in each bite, rather than a mouthful of dry kale here and there, which is what turns people off from kale in the first place. But nope, not here. All ingredients are similar in size to love on your tastebuds at every forkful.
A real crowd-pleaser, for sure and perfect for all your summer festivities.
Powered with quinoa, chopped kale, protein-rich edamame, diced bell peppers, hydrating grapes, sweet corn, finely shredded carrots, crunchy pecans, flaked coconut and fresh cilantro. Me oh my! You won’t even notice the whopping 3 cups of shredded kale because it only gets better with time.
Yep, THE KALE GETS BETTER.
The fresh ingredients and flavors overpower the kale while the dressing softens it. Not that you always want to overpower the taste of kale, (I personally love it now) but there are times when a salad doesn’t sound good… this recipe instantly changes that!
Since we can’t always have champagne with lunch, I figured the next best thing was to make a simple champagne vinaigrette to enhance the flavors and keep it light rather than incorporate a heavy dressing. There’s a time and place for creamier dressings but this salad does not need it! So whisk up my simple homemade dressing and call it a day.
This California Chopped Kale Salad can be eaten cold or slightly warm – either way is absolutely delicious. A cold bowl for lunch or a warm bowl for dinner. All you do is cook the quinoa, chop the kale in a big bowl using kitchen scissors, shred the bell pepper and carrot in a food processor (or chop it real quick) add in the coconut, pecans, corn, edamame and grapes, then mix everything together. Whisk the dressing ingredients together, pour it over your big bowl of goodness. That’s it!
In under 30 minutes you’re left with a filling, nourishing, absolutely delicious meal for lunches during the week, summer parties, beach days and beyond.
Healthy eating doesn’t have to be complicated.Print
California Chopped Kale Salad. Vegan, Gluten Free. Quinoa, kale and all the veggies, plus flaked coconut & juicy grapes with a champagne vinaigrette.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (or 3 cups cooked)
- 3 cups de-stemmed kale, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color; I used green)
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup edamame (or chickpeas, etc.)
- 1 cup sliced grapes
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2.5 tablespoons champagne vinegar (or wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium sized pot, combine 2 cups of water with 1 cup of quinoa and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
- In a large salad bowl, add the kale and chop it up with kitchen scissors.
- In a food processor, pulse the bell pepper and carrots until finely shredded. Add into the bowl of kale. Then add the rest of the salad ingredients and mix well.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, or blending them in a small food processor.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, mix and enjoy!
- Stays fresh in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, even with the dressing on.
- Can replace quinoa with brown rice, etc.
- Add any additional veggies you like!
- Serving Size: 5
I love seeing your creations! Tag me in your pictures and let me know how you liked this recipe in the comments below. Snap a pic on instagram using the hashtag #theglowingfridge! You can also tag me in your pics on Facebook.