Let’s talk PMS! And Natural PMS Treatments.
Sometimes the rise and fall of estrogen and progesterone are too much. I’m pretty sure we’ve all experienced some form of PMS and it can strike any time between ovulation & your period, when some major fluctuations are happening. Just remember, your hormones are not out to get you, it’s actually a cry for help from your body. PMS symptoms are common, but not normal! This is something I talk about a lot in The Happy Hormone Guide.
BLOATING, PUFFINESS & DIGESTION ISSUES:
- Take digestive enzymes before meals
- Eat probiotic-rich foods (like raw sauerkraut, kimchi and dairy-free unsweetened yogurt) + a high-quality probiotic
- Increase leafy greens as they help reduce bloating due to high levels of magnesium, calcium and fiber (kale, spinach, collards)
- Increase cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussels, cabbage),
- Drink fennel tea (my favorite bloating hack!)
- CALM magnesium tea to help keep things regular, exercise & rebounding for lymphatic system
BLEMISHES & OILY SKIN:
- No refined sugar! Fresh fruit is good but switch to alternative sugars like monk fruit and stevia
- Improve gut health (read this post)
- Work on liver detoxification by adding bitter foods like ACV, lemon, dandelion tea, cruciferous veggies, milk thistle, digestive bitters before meals
- Eliminate alcohol and exposure to chemicals. be sure to exfoliate skin a few times a week.
CRAVINGS & MOODINESS:
- Carb cravings stem from blood sugar imbalance. Balance blood sugar at EVERY meal by including a healthy fat, protein, complex carb source and lots of greens/veggies. This is crucial!
- If craving chocolate, you may need to add magnesium glycinate to your supplement routine (also helps with insomnia).. also just eat some chocolate!!
- If craving salty food, replenish lost mineral stores/electrolyte balance. switch to sea salt, eat sea veggies like kelp or dulse, add water-rich veggies like watermelon & cucumber
CRAMPS & BREAST TENDERNESS:
- I wrote an entire post dedicated to BREAST TENDERNESS!
- hot water bottle
- cramp bark
- ginger tea/ginger in food
- CBD Oil (read this post!)
- magnesium glycinate
- CALM magnesium tea
- CBD oil
- LUNA sleep supplement