Good morning! Can you tell I love making desserts?! Mainly popsicles. I have made a couple other popsicle recipes the last few weeks because they are fun to make and you really can’t mess them up. I think I could come up with thousands of popsicle recipes! But since I was little, I have always LOVED Chocolate Covered Banana Pops. Or chocolate covered anything, really.
Until a few days ago, I had never made them at home before. I always bought them. The store bought ones are not vegan, I don’t think? I am not 100% sure but either way, I knew it was time I try making my own vegan-friendly recipe. These banana pops are just bananas, a 2-ingredient chocolate coating and your favorite toppings! I used all sorts of toppings – cane sugar, fresh raspberry pieces, cacao nibs, granola, pecans and coconut. I still have yet to find some vegan sprinkles so if you have recommendations, please let me know but I would have loved to add some sprinkles on these pops!
You have two options when making these banana pops:
1) Use already frozen bananas – This way, the chocolate hardens very quickly from the cold temperature of the banana, meaning you have to work fast and make sure you have all your toppings ready or it will harden too fast for the toppings to stick – BUT you can eat them right away 🙂
2) Use non-frozen bananas – You have to wait at least 4 hours for the bananas to freeze in the freezer but you have more time to play around with the toppings as the chocolate won’t harden as quickly.
Tough decisions, right? Haha.
A sweet and classic frozen favorite – Vegan
- 3 bananas, cut in half
- 6 popsicle sticks
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Cut your ripe bananas in half and insert popsicle stick in center of each banana. Place them in the freezer in a ziplock bag for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Once bananas are frozen, prepare chocolate coating. Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave (in 30 second intervals) or in small pot over the stove – make sure not to burn the chocolate!
- Decide what toppings you want and make sure to have them laid out and ready.
- Remove frozen bananas from freezer and place on a piece of parchment paper.
- Pour the melted chocolate over frozen banana with a spoon and quickly add toppings before it freezes! Repeat with the rest of the bananas and enjoy immediately or place back in the freezer for frozen treats anytime.
- Make sure the bananas are ripe with the brown spots so they are extra sweet!
This past weekend, I did some DIY painting projects and made a few blog props, took the pups on lots of walks with Marty, watched an amazing movie, Noah, made a whole bunch of spring rolls and wished I was at Lollapalooza! Not that exciting.. but productive. Which is always good right?! Hope you had a nice weekend 🙂 Take a picture of your banana pops and tag me on social media in your pictures!!